1. Guest, If you are having forum issues please contact cm@gamebreaker.tv or on twitter @gamebreakertv for best chance at fast reply.

Gave up on /shout and /yell

Discussion in 'The Tavern - General XIV Nation Discussion' started by Heriteck, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Heriteck

Heriteck Member

So I'm just curious, what tactic do you use to fight the gil sellers?

You can't stand in a main city without them having chat spam fights over who has the most recent post in your chatbox.

Me personally, I've just removed shout and yell from my general chat window. Which sucks because some people really do use those channels for those thing other than spamming for selling sites.

What is your ideal recommended resolution for this?
    Personally I think they should enable a smaller limit to the allowable single chat and put a delay between anything more than 2 messages.
    Many people have requested a 'right click blacklist/report option' which is a good idea but they way they are scrolling through the chatlogs almost makes that impossible to do.

They seem to have finally slain the 1017 boss and I commend them for that, I really just hope they don't let something as simple as chat spamming ruin part of the experience.
    2 people like this.
  2. ColinWilson1980

ColinWilson1980 GBN Member

My hope is that they implement something similar to most other game, with a right-click, report & auto-block.
    4 people like this.
  3. Hirah

Hirah GBN Member

Server:
    Goblin
    FFXIV Character:
    Zoie Rotul
    I hope they do some sort of right click like there are in other games but its not a deal breaker. Frankly to me this doesn't make or break a game for me. I know this has been said a lot with this game so far but let me say this again, this sort of thing happens at the launch of games. They have other things to worry about for now. Yes to us it looks like they have the 1017 and 3102 and other bugs fixed but who know what all they are working on. The gil spammers will always be around, no avoiding that so we will just have to blacklist them or create a different chat tab. I for one have a chat tab that I call LFG and that is the only chat tab that I have /shout and /yell on. Otherwise I just ignore it all. With this option I miss all the trolls too which I think is a win/win anyways!
    2 people like this.
  4. Cheveyo

Cheveyo GBN Member

Click their names, hit "Send Tell". Not to actually send them anything, but so I can see how to spell it.
    Then I make sure it's actually them spamming, I don't want to black list an innocent. Once I've established they're the ones who have been spamming, I add them to my blacklist.

I do this for every spammer there is. Every time I get a tell, or see a shout or a yell, I stop what I'm doing and add the name.
    5 people like this.
  5. Tyradius

Tyradius New Member

Server:
    Adamantoise
    FFXIV Character:
    Tyradius Hylon
    I just highlight the name hit ctrl c go into blacklist click add hit ctrl v and done. I have 18 in my blocked list so far.
    4 people like this.
  6. Sasapi

Sasapi Active Member

Server:
    Moogle
    FFXIV Character:
    S'asha Pisahpi
    Free Company:
    Eternal Rose
    Blacklist and Report.
    2 people like this.
  7. Symi

Symi Member

Server:
    Behemoth
    FFXIV Character:
    Symi
    This only works for the ones who send a tell to you but it's great. Make this macro:

/blist add <r>
    4 people like this.
  8. Beacham

Beacham GBN Member

Server:
    Leviathan
    FFXIV Character:
    Crimson Reaver
    LoL Summoner Name:
    BeachamIV
    Free Company:
    The Agency
    Make a linkshell/party chat tab. Use this when in major cities.

When you are outside of these areas just switch it back to general chat.
    2 people like this.
  9. Jeramiah

Jeramiah New Member

Server:
    Midgardsormr
    FFXIV Character:
    Honeyx Badgerx
    Free Company:
    Grievance
    Click on the spammers name and hit send tell. When their name comes up, highlight it and hit control+c then hit o. Blacklist tab then hit control+v.
    2 people like this.
  10. LuminousKnight

LuminousKnight Member

Server:
    Faerie
    I find them really annoying. :( Everytime I blacklist one another one pops less than minute later. ( >_< )

Didn't know you could disable the Shout feature but then again someone might need a raise so I'm not gonna disable it.

Just wish there are Quest where we can hunt them down and destroy them. Lol :p
    2 people like this.
  11. Rustybicycle

Rustybicycle Member

Server:
    Adamantoise
    FFXIV Character:
    Aurora Andromeda
    I actually found a gilseller that had spammed me standing near the leather workers guild. At that moment, I wished there was global pvp.
    I wish there was a way to find out what their retainer's manes are so we can all boycot buying things from them on the AH. This morning I saw 6 stacks of 99 aldgoat horns all being sold by the same guy with a name like Dyzagpl, all for half what everyone else was selling for. This is exactly the type of person that I avoid buying from, it just screams Gil seller to me.
  12. Cheveyo

Cheveyo GBN Member

IMO, they need to make a new channel one can only access after a certain point in the main story. In fact, make a few new ones: Trade, Help, General.
    And limit those channels to one message every 30-60 seconds.
    5 people like this.
  13. Tyradius

Tyradius New Member

Server:
    Adamantoise
    FFXIV Character:
    Tyradius Hylon
    Good idea, even if it was once you reach lvl 15 and obtain your airship pass it would still stop many of the gold sellers spam. They could still send you a /tell though.
    2 people like this.
  14. kasandaro

kasandaro Member

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    FFXIV Character:
    Caelus Kasandaro
    Dear god, they need flood control. Ul'dah earlier, the /shouts were coming at one per second per spammer. It was a great minigame: zone in, watch the chat list spin for a few seconds, zone out, blist all the things, zone back in to peace and quiet.

It's not just the cities, though - both Quarrymill and Drybone were spinning at times, and Southern Thanalan had one today. I'm kind of surprised I didn't see one in Dragonbone.
    2 people like this.
  15. LuminousKnight

LuminousKnight Member

Server:
    Faerie
    At times their spams were so long, I've had to scroll up the chat box just because it made me missed what my friends were saying.
    2 people like this.
  16. LeoStrut

LeoStrut Member

Server:
    Excalibur (LEGACY)
    FFXIV Character:
    Leo Strut
    Free Company:
    Order of the Blue Garter
    Add to blist, move on with life.
    2 people like this.
  17. Kaziana

Kaziana Well-Known Member

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    FFXIV Character:
    Kaziana Kiyugami
    Free Company:
    Modified
    At least for tells cause I'm OCD about them, I made a seperate chat window for tells.

If the Shout/Yells are getting annoying, make a seperate chat window for them as well and take them out of the main chat window.
    2 people like this.
  18. LuminousKnight

LuminousKnight Member

Server:
    Faerie
    How do you make a separate chat window?
  19. Cheveyo

Cheveyo GBN Member

Click the + on the chat window. You can add one more than the default and only one.
    Clicking the cog wheel will let you open settings and choose which channels whichever window you selected would have.
    3 people like this.
  20. Darangen

Darangen New Member

Server:
    Diabolos
    FFXIV Character:
    Shadowrose Quietstorm
    I just put shout and yell into a different tab. That way when I'm not in a city and want to see what people are yelling or shouting, I just click on that tab.
    2 people like this.